August 26, 2005

Don't answer your phone when it's plugged into it's charger (?)

A Nigerian man has supposedly been killed when he answered his phone while it was plugged into the wall to charge, reports Techdirt.

The man answered his phone, then "after a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the ground with a heavy thud", resulting in a weak heartbeat and burnt fingers, and he was dead on arrival at a hospital.

The source for the story in the Nigerian paper is a flimsy "message" forwared from a friend, but nonetheless consider yourself warned that while mobile phones are useful, they "can also be an instrument of death."

This piece of news should be filed away with the "Cell Phone Charger Fire Destroys Entire N.Y. Home" story - where a house burned down in Duchess County New York, when a cell phone charger heated up and short circuited.

emily | 6:38 PM | News, Buzz | Add this this entry to your del.icio.us bookmarks. Digg This Technorati search results for this Entry
The Permanent Link to this page is: http://textually.org/textually/archives/2005/08/009697.htm
Google+ FaceBook Follow Me on Pinterest
Home | About | ArchivesCopyright © 2014